It’s no secret that I’m a big supporter of spicy food – the hotter the better!
For this recipe I decided to head south of the border and, inspired by the fusion of flavour endemic to Tabasco’s birthplace in Louisiana I created Spicy Shrimp Tacos with creamy avocado dressing and shredded red cabbage. But because this dish couldn’t possibly represent the South without a little smoke, my sauce of choice is Tabasco Chipotle´. Fragrantly smoky, with a slight bite yet an addictively piquant hit of flavour, this has to be hands-down my Tabasco sauce of preference. Short and sweet to throw together, these Tacos easily double up for a dinner party.
Prep time: 40mins / Cook time: 5mins / Assembly: 15mins / Serves: 6
You will need:
- about 400g of large par-cooked prawns/shrimp
- 1T olive oil or butter
- 1tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1tsp Spanish smoked paprika
- coarse sea salt & black pepper
Warm a pan over medium heat and add the oil or butter. Toss the shrimp in the paprika and cayenne pepper and season lightly with the salt and pepper. Flash-fry the shrimp in the pan. They are ready when they have turned a medium pink colour. This usually takes about 3 to 4 minutes. Be sure to not let them overcook as they will become floury.
You will need:
- the juice and zest of a lime
- 3tsp extra virgin olive oil
- coarse ground salt & black pepper
- 100ml double thick plain yoghurt
- 2Tbsp pickled green jalapeño slices
- a small clove of garlic, peeled
- 2 large ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
In a blender, blitz up the yoghurt, the lime juice and zest, the jalapeño slices, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the avocado and the garlic clove until smooth. Season with salt.
You will need:
- 12 to 24 readymade flour or corn mini tortillas (I use cocktail roti’s if I can’t find authentic corn tacos – they’re just as good)
- a small red cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 to 3 ripe avocados, peeled and thinly sliced
- a small red onion, peeled and finely diced
- a small pineapple, peeled and finely diced
- a handful of fresh coriander, coarse stalks removed
- a bottle of Tabasco Chipotle´sauce
In a large pan, dry-fry the cocktail tortillas until lightly browned. Set down in one long stripe as if making an assembly line. Top the tacos with equal amounts of red cabbage (a good large five-finger pinch always does the trick), a few slices of avocado (about two or so) and roughly a teaspoon each of the diced pineapple and red onion. Transfer the tacos to your serving dish, arranging them so that they sit upright, each one supported by the one next to it. Spoon about a teaspoon of the Avocado Cremá into each taco before topping them off with two to three shrimps.
Finish off your spicy shrimp tacos with a few fresh coriander leaves and a healthy splash of Tabasco Chipotle´sauce. Serve to 6 very lucky people along with a few classic margaritas and plenty of extra lime wedges to squeeze over the top of the tacos.
*I recommend removing the shells from the prawns before eating – here I’ve left them on purely for aesthetic reasons.